Because We Are Girls
Because We Are Girls is a Canadian documentary produced by the National Film Board of Canada and directed by renowned Canadian director Baljit Sangra.
The documentary shares the impact sexual abuse has had on the lives of Jeeti, the Pooni Sisters and her family, as well as the social and cultural beliefs that hinder little girls and women even today.
Because We Are Girls had its World premiere at Hot Docs in Toronto, North America’s largest documentary festival, May 1-3, 2019. The film was chosen to open the DOXA film festival in Vancouver, premiering May 3, 7, and 12, 2019, with continuous SOLD out screenings. The film has also garnered many awards.
Where to watch Because We Are Girls
Additional screening locations
2020 Film Screenings
- July 20 – Worldwide release on Amazon Prime Video.
- July 08 – Canada online release, watch for free on NFB.ca or NFB Youtube channel.
- March 28 – Cancelled due to Covid-19 – London UK & all USA screenings in Los Angelos, San Francisco & San Diego
- March 28 – Cancelled due to Covid-19 – London, UK – UK Asian Film Festival
- March 12 – Squamish BC – Courtesy of Squamish Public Library and Howe Sounds Women’s Centre
- March 8 – Public Library – International Women’s Day special screenings in 25+ various locations across Canada
- March 5 – New Westminister BC – Douglas College courtesy of Seren Friskie
- March 4-5 – Glasgow, Scotland – Glasgow Film Festival
- February 29 – Salt Spring – Salt Spring Island Film Festival
- February 27 – Edmonton – Courtesy of Metro Cinema, Edmonton Movie Club, SVAAN and NFB
- February 21 – Vancouver – KDocsFF
- February 20 – Kamloops – Kamloops Film Festival
- February 2 – Brampton – Courtesy of Laadliyan, Tina Singh, Cineplex SilverCity Brampton and more
- January 30 – Surrey – KDocsFF Surrey campus
- January 28 – Kaslo BC – North Kootney Lake Community Services
2019 Film Screenings
- November 16 – Calgary, Marda Loop Justice Film Festival
- November 9 – Vancouver Asian Film Festival
- November 7,8 – Waterloo, Zonta Film Festival
- November 3 – Williams Lake, Williams Lake Film Club/Paradise Cinemas/NFB
- November 1 – Abbotsford, Community Awareness Team
- October 24 – Surrey, KDocsFF Surrey Campus
- October 19 – Toronto, Reel World Film Festival
- October 9 – Toronto, Hot Docs Ted Rodgers Cinema
- October 5 – Seattle, Tasveer Film Festival
- September 27 – Surrey, Surrey Civic Theatre
- Sept 17 – Halifax, Atlantic Film Festival
- August 29 – Korea, Seoul International Film Festival
- June 6 – Vancouver, Reel Causes in partner with Family Services of Greater Vancouver
- July 5-7,11,13 – Vancouver, VIFF
- May 3, 7, 12 – Vancouver, DOXA
- May 1 – 3 – Toronto, Hot Docs
Book Jeeti to speak at your upcoming event
Jeeti Pooni is a motivational speaker, the author of The Silent Stoning, and the driving force behind her documentary film Because We Are Girls, which highlights Jeeti and her family’s arduous journey. Jeeti is an advocate for cultural change, and a voice for all those that have suffered sexual abuse. She lives in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, with her husband and two daughters.